Enabling Deletion Protection safety feature for your Amazon RDS database instances provides an extra layer of security and ensures that your data remains safe from accidental deletion. This feature prevents the deletion of RDS instances through AWS Management Console, CLI or API calls unless it is explicitly disabled. It is recommended to enable Deletion Protection for your Amazon RDS instances to ensure their safety.
Here are the remediation steps to ensure that your Amazon Relational Database Service (RDS) instances have Deletion Protection feature enabled:
- Open the Amazon RDS console and sign in to your AWS account.
- In the navigation pane, choose "Databases."
- Select the RDS instance for which you want to enable deletion protection.
- Choose "Modify."
- Scroll down to the "Deletion protection" section, and select the checkbox next to "Enable deletion protection."
- Choose "Continue" and then choose "Modify DB instance."
- Verify that deletion protection is enabled for the instance by checking the "Deletion protection" column in the "Databases" list.
Note: If you want to disable deletion protection for an instance, you can follow the same steps and uncheck the "Enable deletion protection" checkbox in step 5.
Note: Remediation steps provided by Lightlytics are meant to be suggestions and guidelines only. It is crucial to thoroughly verify and test any remediation steps before applying them to production environments. Each organization's infrastructure and security needs may differ, and blindly applying suggested remediation steps without proper testing could potentially cause unforeseen issues or vulnerabilities. Therefore, it is strongly recommended that you validate and customize any remediation steps to meet your organization's specific requirements and ensure that they align with your security policies and best practices.